Monday, March 18, 2013

Reclaiming/Repurposing is NOT new!

Before Pinterest and repurposing  there was Mrs. DeMarco.  A very talented woman, A very creative woman. A very determined woman. A very suborn woman.

When I was in high school my very best friend (her daughter) and I came home to find one very happy Mrs. DeMarco and one VERY disgusting smelly divan/sofa/couch. She was ecstatic that she found this Victorian piece for a very nominal amount. If my memory serves me it was 10 or 15 dollars. Her daughter and I said not only would we get rid of the foul thing before MR.  DeMarco came in the door, we would give her double her money. She declined (what we thought was) a very generous offer. Because "after she removed the wet horsehair and refinished it, and reupholstered it we would not believe how lovely it would be". As she was about everything, she was right. It was fabulous.

She also had a talent for repurposing LONG before it was trendy. When she passed away, my friend asked me what I would like from her Mother's home. I picked two things. One was a cook book and the other is pictured below.




 
 
Do you know what this is???
 
It is a ceramic urinal from the 20's (I think) The first time I saw this in Mrs. Demarco's guest bath I was probably in my early 20's and thought it was quite the bold statement. She had a variety of things in it depending in the time of year. Flower arrangements, holiday décor, guest towels.  It always made me giggle. Now when I head into my bathroom and look at it, I smile and think fondly of a woman who was WAY ahead of her time. It also tells me when someone visits for the first time WHO has a sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment